Monday, December 28, 2020

2020: my top 10

Greetings. What can I say about new music in 2020? It certainly has been a weird year all around and the flow of new music has not been spared. Honestly, I didn't do the big exploration of new albums this year as I have in so many past years. I often found myself listening to audio books instead of albums for some reason. So, maybe this list should be 10 albums that got my attention because I did find myself spending time with them. I just feel like there's great music out there that I missed, which happens every year, but maybe more so this year. Still, these are all fantastic records and worthy of a top list.

With time at home, many musicians released more material than usual and often it was raw, uncut, lofi, and/or acoustic, and less produced. Cool, cool. But also a double edged sword. Sometimes there was too much and the albums were not representative of the best a band can make. I'm fine with that, actually. But I also found myself less excited for releases and getting bored at times if something didn't grab me right away.

In the end, I settled on this list. 10 great albums, in no particular order, that for me put the exclamation point on a difficult year that I'll never forget and will happily leave behind, but also paved way for some damn good creativity.


1. Local H - Lifers


I've been a huge Local H fan since high school and still think they're ridiculously underrated. Somehow their music speaks to me and Lifers is no exception. The song writing is quality and Scott Lucas continues to have a great voice. The music is simple but what's needed to deliver, and... that guitar tone.


2. Haunt - Mind Freeze

I am continually impressed by Haunt and their ability to make a pure kind of metal, and Mind Freeze has all the ingredients. Super tasty solos and songs that are crisp and concise. This is the kind of metal rock enthusiasts can enjoy. I'm convinced that Trevor Church is one of the hardest working musicians to be so prolific and impossibly good.


3. Myrkur - Folkesange

So, there's no way I can predict what Amalie Bruun will do next. She has a truly unique and memorable fantastic voice, and continues to impress with the versatility in ways she uses it. Songs on Folkesange are distinct and unmistakable despite the album being a far cry from the black metal Myrkur was initially known for. Mellow and operatic, this style is just as good as the metal ones and was one of those albums I ended up leaning on to get through this year.


4. Butcher Brown - #KingButch


I'd never heard of Butcher Brown before #KingButch came on my radar but liked the group right away. A fusion of jazz styles and hip hop makes their sound unique but what's impressive is that they do it all equally well, and blend the styles in a way that works extremely well. Great instrumentation is present throughout. I wouldn't have envisioned jazz and hip hop working together so well, but it makes sense and this album delivers.


5. Jake Kimberley - Shifting Obsession

I heard of this album because I follow Caustic Casanova, Kimberley's band. This is one of those albums that wouldn't exist without the imposed isolation of Covid. It's a solid album, somewhat melancholy and a little weird. Thematically there's some stuff about being isolated and I'm not sure how the songs will age over time. But I've sure been enjoying them lately. The music is good but would be nothing without the melodies and song writing. I hope Kimberley does more solo stuff, it's a nice contrast from the CC style that I also love.


6. Big Al and the Nice Goods - C.R.A.B.


Poetry and synthesizers, chunky guitars, Big Al and the Nice Goods make music for the people. The use of language in the lyrics keeps you on your toes and proves endlessly entertaining, and poignant. While the songs are surprisingly catchy. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy this band.


7. Run the Jewels - RTJ4

Is there a group more in tune with the universe than Run the Jewels? If there is, I haven't run into them. This music is for now. The state of 2020 made for conditions for an album like RTJ4 to emerge. It's in your face and to the point, and uncompromising hip hop. It is relevant and deals with subject matter that affects real people, and it is really, really good.


8. Yuri Gagarin - The Outskirts of Reality 

If you've followed along with my lists from previous years, maybe this is the most predictable selection for 2020. This is one great album. Nobody does instrumental heavy psych better than Yuri Gagarin and this album delivers. It's got weirdness and space sounds, and grooves, and tasty guitar riffs and solos. When you need to tune out and visit another plane of existence for a while, here's your ticket. 


9. The Midnight - Monsters 

I've been a huge fan of The Midnight the last few years and honestly, I love their sound so much that it's hard to imagine them releasing something I wouldn't enjoy. Yes, there's a nostalgia factor with their lyrical themes. And the synth is so cool, and the beats feel good. But these songs will stick with you long after others in similar vein have faded away. 


10. Car Seat Headrest - Making a Door Less Open 

Sometimes I'm not sure what draws me to the music of Car Seat Headrest but I do consistently like their stuff. The indie sound reminds me of my college radio station days. This album is more approachable compared to some of their other stuff, with a cleaner and less rough around the edges sound. It's still them, though. I also like the smattering of beats sprinkled throughout that serve to break up the tracks a bit and keep it interesting in a different way.


This concludes my 2020 top 10. If you also loved one of these albums this year, let me know in the comments. If you loved some different albums, feel free to mention that as well. Stay safe and take care, and rock on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment