Sunday, December 26, 2021

2021 My top 10

 2021 was an odd year for me regarding albums and my music listening habits. I still found a few albums to truly enjoy. The whole Covid thing has led met to listening to quite a bit of music, but I've been reaching back into the archives opposed to seeking out those new gems. Honestly, the disappointment over the fact that our lives haven't got even close to back to normal yet, has left me reaching for that comfort zone. With all that said, here are some albums that captured my attention this year and will assuredly enter my library of fav albums.


Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time.

Gosh I listened to this album a lot while driving around this year. The songwriting is so simple that it makes you feel like you could record this stuff in your own living room. I know that's part of Barnett's charm. She has a poetic style that would be equally interesting if she just read her lyrics aloud. I feel like her songs are built around the lyrics. This is a very pleasant album that I think would be fitting in the background of just about any situation, however if someone takes the time to pay closer attention, they'll find it has a lot more going on and is more interesting than one might initially realize. 

 

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

How does Iron Maiden continue to operate and create at such a ridiculously high level? I could say that Senjutsu contains more of what you might expect from Iron Maiden and that would be correct. However, that wouldn't do the album justice, as it has tasty guitar parts and epic sweeping metal songs that will leave you standing next to the speakers mesmerized. And as a double album, this is a long one. Bruce Dickenson sounds as good as ever and the band is nearly perfect. You may still prefer an older classic for your fav Iron Maiden, but this is a top notch experience. 


King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000


How King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard keep doing it, I'll never know. They just keep pumping out ridiculous good music. This time it's wispy magical mellow beats and breathy vocals for the win. Once again, different from everything they've done prior and still completely them. 

Kimberly Freeman - After the Snow

I will listen to anything Kimberly Freeman comes out with. This album is apparently her response after going through some intense life stuff, and I can feel that. She's a songwriting and vocal talent, and emotions seep through with every moment. She manages to give you little glimpses to her mind that only make you long to learn more, but it's the longing that you truly need to appreciate. 


Silver Talon - Deceiver, I Am

Silver Talon's plan with Deceiver I Am is not complicated. Make tasty metal. They have some of the most shredding licks and crisp vocals. The songwriting is epic and fun, and will remind you of so much of what makes metal simply the best. 


Haunt - Beautiful Distraction 

Haunt returns with another scorching release, riding that line between retro hard rock and metal. If someone tells me they don't like metal I quickly think of Haunt because how could anyone ever not love this? Good riffs, overall simple but effective, metal for the masses. 

Alostmen - Kologo

African beats and traditional instruments fill up the songs on Alostmen's Kologo. I know very little about music from Africa so have not much to compare this to, but I know even I totally dig a sound. Catchy in a way I've never experienced before, this is the album for me this year that I'd recommend the most. 


Michael Droske - Let Me Wait

Mike Droske is an underrated talent. He's also a meticulous crafter of fine song writing. Always humble, he makes those playing around him sound better. This new album is a fine example of what he's capable of. Each song tells a story. It reminds me a lot of George Harrison in parts, going into psychedelic interludes but returning to a structure reminiscent of rock classics. You can't go wrong with this album. 

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Vocal driven indie sounding music is the vibes I get from Punisher Phoebe Bridgers. This reminds me of my days at the radio station in college. It's not ground breaking or especially unique stuff, but you'll prob like it anyway. 

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raise the Roof

It's a melding of two wonderful voices with some simple song writing that let's them showcase their immense talents. This is one everybody's parents can agree on and listen to on lazy Sundays when it rains. Timeless and classic, yet also somehow fresh. I don't think Plant and Krauss have the ability to make something together that wouldn't just sound divine. I'm glad they got creative together once again. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment