Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022: My Top 10

 2022 has been a weird year for me in terms of music. With my favorite music store closed for good (Skip's CD World... RIP) I have found it much more difficult to connect and find new music to listen to. Sure, I have streaming, but the "explore" options on there certainly don't replace the ability to walk down an aisle and browse hard copies of music. They don't replace the conversations I had with store employees, and they don't replace holding an album in hand and looking at the art up close. Streaming sites are great for listening to that oldie, but (IMHO) terrible for finding new music. But, one must change with the times and I am trying to find new avenues of musical discovery. At least Bandcamp remains a stable go-to for finding a few gems, although I've made fewer purchases on there lately (despite their obvious upgrades to their sites! Thank you!), for some reason. I hope to change that in 2023. 

So, I have managed to find some new music. Some of it through exploring the internet, some through conversations with friends/family, some through dumb luck. I have never before had such strong feelings that I probably have missed something great out there this year and I'll be kicking myself in the future for wishing I had had it for this list. These lists are always incomplete and imperfect, though, so be it. Here, in no particular order, with a few thoughts, are my top 10 albums for 2022, in no particular order. 


1. Cannons - Fever Dream


Favorite Track: Lightning

Cannons is definitely my new favorite band to enter regular rotation this year. For some reason, the wispy breathy vocals and mellow beats were exactly what I needed in this challenging year of 2022. This new album truly has some gems and I have listened to it dozens of times, appropriate for all settings and all company, these songs can even get you thinking and having the big "feels" with solid song writing and lyrics all around. Listening to Cannons has led to me finding a lot of new albums by many artists, but none have resonated with me quite like this band. 


2. The Midnight - Heroes


Favorite Track: Heart Worth Breaking

The more I hear from The Midnight, the more they climb the ladder of my favorite bands. Their music captures the nostalgia of the 80s in a modern way, probably they fall under the "retro synth" genre but their front and center vocals make them different enough that I would personally separate them from much of what that genre is. Their albums often manage to tell a story and carry themes, which Heroes is no different. It feels like a movie taking place in your mind as you listen. Also, their tunes are catchy and I find myself singing Heart Worth Breaking all too often. 


3. Ozzy Osbourne - Patient Number 9


Favorite Track: No Escape From Now

Patient Number 9 will remind a long time fan of much of what they love about Ozzy's music over the years. I don't think he really breaks any new ground with this album, but it is an awesome album none the less. There are plenty of guest appearances to ensure shredding guitar and great riffs. And, Ozzy's voice truly sounds as iconic and good as ever. Definitely an album of nostalgia, the Tony Iommi songs were my fav collabs, giving me the feeling that this may be the last (or among the last) opportunities to experience the magic these two bring. Plus, the big Sabbath energy! Honestly, I had some low expectations for what this album might be, but it has delivered. 


4. Two Door Cinema Club - Keep on Smiling


Favorite Track: Lucky

Two Door Cinema club captures the direction I wish more pop music was taking. It is fun and light, and well crafted. Good beats that are danceable at times, but often not quite... solidly falling into the good driving music realm, or maybe for a nice cocktail hour. Nice bass riffs round it out and some solid vocals (that wind around in interesting ways) complete the package. Honestly, there's nothing too fancy about this album, it just works. I heard Two Door Cinema Club hanging out with friends at their house and found myself getting hooked. 


5. Hoaxed - Two Shadows


Favorite Track: The Call

I had the fortunate experience of seeing Hoaxed live this year and, as a first metal show to attend since the before times. Especially for a 3 piece, Hoaxed puts on a great display. They have carved out a niche of a metal sound that is simple in its base pieces, but well polished and interesting to listen to. They put on a great live show, as well. The vocals make the music more accessible and stand out from a lot of other similar styled music.


6. Intranced - Intranced EP


Favorite Track: Intranced

If we can't have Holy Grail, the next best thing is Intranced. I have high hopes for this band that they'll take it to the next level, as it stands we have one very delicious bite in this EP from Intranced. I feel like the band picks up where Holy Grail left off and capitalizes of James Paul Luna's superior vocal abilities. The band delivers what I've come to expect from LA's metal scene with fast polished guitar work and great sound. 


7. The Fae - Books With Maps Vol. 1


Favorite Track: Faerie Rock

When it came to my attention that Jeff Potts had another musical project, I had to check it out. I'd seen him with Gygax, met him (nice guy!), and loved his guitar style. IMO, his work with Gygax made that band so much better (although, I loved all the incarnations of Gygax! Respect!). You can hear a little bit of the Gygax sound in The Fae's Books with Maps Vol 1. But, this music is more whimsical and fun. Firmly rooted in Fantasy, this album is metal but much more my speed lately... a little more mellow and on the rock side of things. All members of The Fae are carrying their weight on this album, with constantly switching it up through some prog moments and each instrument showcased throughout. This is one of those albums that stands out more and more, the more you listen and pay attention. 


8. Caustic Casanova - Glass Enclosed Nerve Center


Favorite Track: Lodestar

Are they metal? Rock? Indie? A collaboration of so many styles of music makes up Caustic Casanova, and they've delivered with another distinct piece of music that is so distinctly them, and so cool, with Glass Enclosed Nerve Center. I admit I can never remember the name of this album. It certifiably rocks and there are great rock riffs present along with their signature vocal style that works so well with their style, kind of a sing-yelling style that I don't often hear to my tastes. This band is getting better with age as they continue to perfect their craft. 


9. Haunt - Windows of Your Heart


Favorite Track: Father Time

It seems impossible for me to make one of these lists without including Haunt, as they are so prolific and it all rocks so freaking hard. A taste of thrash, but with a more pure metal sound, Haunt has managed to find a formula for metal that I wish a lot more bands would take note of. The guitar playing is unmatched with shredding solos that are interesting and crisp. The vocal style works well with their sound, gallop heavy tracks, with a bit of a retro metal vibe. I can't really get enough. 


10. Gargantuan Blade - Gargantuan Blade


Favorite Track: Necromancer's Blood

Gargantuan Blade is a band I came across on YouTube and then Bandcamp. I am sometimes just in the mood for some rock solid doomy stoner sludgy rock metal and this album delivers. Tune in and tune out. They are from Finland and bring the heavy riffs with a Fantasy theme, something that often works for me, and vocals that are not aggressive. Not sure what else to say about this one except that it is a very satisfying piece of music. 


There you go... my top 10 for 2022. Happy new year!


EDIT: I somehow neglected to have Riot City - Electric Elite on this list. I have loved this album this year for its pure shredding amazing solos and great tone. Plus, the vocalist has one of the most amazing metal voices I've ever heard, with great range. This is a great followup to Burn the Night. Instead of taking another album off this list we'll just say... this one goes to 11.

Favorite Track: Ghost of Reality




No comments:

Post a Comment