Sunday, January 1, 2017

My favorite albums from 2014 (12-31-14)

My favorite albums from 2014

I’ve been thinking about all the great music that came out this year and felt compelled to put together a list of my favorites. So, in no particular order, here’s my list of top 10 favorite albums for 2014.
  1. Ryan Adams by Ryan Adams
I love this album and my dad loves this album and it’s just a great album. I had the fortunate experience of seeing Ryan live year, the 6th time I’ve seen him, and dang it he’s still my favorite. The new album is his best in years. It’s raw and simple, but with great melodies and emotion. I get jealous thinking about his abundance of talent.

  1. Pslip by Sierra
I’ve talked about it a bunch but, in case you haven’t heard, I signed up for the Retro Futurist record subscription in January of 2014 (You can sign up for 2015 now if you’re interested) and wow, I feel like it was the best money I’ve spent on anything music fan related in forevs. Sierra’s album, Pslip, was the first album I received and I listen to it so much. It does sound great on vinyl. Anyway, they’re Canadian rockers with a sound somewhat akin to Mastodon’s Leviathan. It’s heavy and driving music and it gets my blood flowing. I can’t wait to find out what they release in the future.

  1. Out Among The Stars by Johnny Cash
It’s not a new album, but newly released. If you haven’t heard the really really really interesting NPR story about this album, it is worth seeking if you’re into Cash stuff. While I think it’s a shame that this music didn’t surface earlier, I’m glad to be hearing it now. I really like this album, although sometimes I feel like Johnny Cash could have been reading the back of a cereal box into a microphone and I’d think it was good. I can’t say it’s Cash’s best (it was recorded in the 80’s!), but it’s still better than most music released these days.

  1. Morning Phase by Beck
I’ve been a Beck fan for a long time. I remember purchasing Odelay, listening to it for the first time on a big stereo and thinking I should take it and get my money back, but then on the second listen I was hooked. I got to see him on that tour and had my mind blown (Salem Armory, 1997!!!!). My favorite of his is Sea Change and this latest album is, in my mind, a follow up to that one. I like it a lot. It’s a little more out there and less catchy than Sea Change, and it takes a bit more work to find the appreciation compared to some of his stuff that grabs you instantly. However, Beck has always explored new territory and I appreciate that immensely.

  1. Maximum Overload by Dragonforce
I watched a short documentary on this album, which made me appreciate it even more. It’s what you might expect from Dragonforce, shredding epic fantasy themed masterpieces, but definitely a new step for them as well. Their new singer is amazing and he sounds more confident on this second album that he’s been on. The rest of the band seems more tight (if that’s even possible) and they switched up some of their routines for making an album with this one… new producer, studio, etc. While they maybe had been becoming a bit stagnant in the past, this one is not. It face melts.

  1. Once More ‘Round The Sun by Mastodon
It’s catchier and poppier than I typically like my Mastodon, more like The Hunter than any other previous album. I’m more of a Crack The Sky kind of Mastodon fan. And, I don’t think it’s as cohesive conceptually as some of their other stuff. Still, the song writing is solid and the musicianship is at a level that’s rarely matched. These guys tour all the time and their skills are sharp. They’re still one of the best metal bands around.

  1. Most Messed Up by The Old 97’s
The Old 97’s finally wrote an album about tour life, drinkin’, and partying. It’s their most memorable album yet and was my drive around album of choice all summer. It’s fun and, if you play guitar, you’ll feel like you want to learn all the songs (although I’m sad to say I’m yet to learn any L).

  1. Astrogasm From The Inner Space by Acid Mother’s Temple
I also had the very fortunate experience of seeing Acid Mother’s Temple this year. Wow. They are so much more entertaining than I could have imagined. Based on their catalogue of music, I found it hard to guess what a live show would be like. It was a nearly spiritual experience. This album is now my favorite of theirs. It might be because I got to see them live in support of it, but I don’t care. Kawabata Makoto is so underrated as a guitar player these days. If you find yourself listening to Acid Mother’s temple and don’t like the album, try a different one. There’s something out there for everyone.

  1. Clearing the Path to Ascend by Yob
Oh, man. Yob. So good. I had a chance to talk a little with Mike Scheidt at a show a few weeks before this album was released and he told me how much work he and the band had put in and how emotionally charged the songs were. This album is pure hard work and perfection. It’s not for everyone, but if you like doom or metal at all, I think it’s a must listen. Of all the albums that came out this year, this is the one that I think will be looked back on as a masterpiece by the peoples of the futures. I can see it now, in a hundred years or more, folks talking about Yob. Also, it’s pretty cool that it made the Rolling Stone top 50 albums of the year.

  1.  Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey
I heard about this album because of Dan Auerbach’s involvement. I had no idea who Lana Del Rey was nor had I heard about her contributions to pop culture. When I went to buy the album, all I’d heard was a couple songs off this album. Walking up to the counter, I got a look from the cashier and she actually said “are you buying this album for yourself?” which I promptly responded “Uhm… I don’t know”. I went home thinking, am I supposed to like this music? I now consider this a ridiculous response… people can generally like whatever music they want, right? I still don’t know much about Lana Del Rey, but I did go listen to some of her older stuff. I do think that the release this year is by far her best. Some might say she finally made an album for adults. Some might say that she was finally allowed to make the album she really wanted to. The Black Keys influence is undeniable. I would call it kind of a doom pop album. The songwriting is solid and that’s the best part of it.


There were a lot of other really great albums this year… So… Here are my honorable mentions:

Pilgrim, II: Void Worship; Jagged Vision, Harvest Earth; Black Label Society, Catacombs of the Black Vatican; Michael Jackson, Xscape; First Aid Kit, Stay Gold; Willie Nelson, Band of Brothers; Serpentine Path, Emanations; J Mascis, Tied To A Star; Weird Al, Mandatory Fun; Robert Plant, Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar; Brimstone Coven, Brimstone Coven; Neil Diamond, Melody Road.

Feel free to share your favorite albums from 2014 if you want. I'm always glad to hear about what else is out there or if we have some common favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment