Sunday, January 1, 2017

Top 10 Nerd Game Soundtracks (10-8-16)

 I decided to post some of my lists from the past couple years on my blog, here. This one is from October 8, 2016.
 
Nerdery Alert: Top 10 Nerd Gamer Soundtracks
 

Lots of my friends know how much I like tabletop RPGs. I've always felt that having the perfect soundtrack to accompany a game can add an element that takes the session to another level, and can assist the imagination. I like listening to all kinds of music, trying to set the tone for the game, whether as the game master or a player. Here are my overall favorite nerd game soundtrack albums. I think it will be evident that some are more fitting than others for certain genres of game play, but overall it's still a line-up that provides a lot of diversity. If you've been looking for a music to accompany your games night, I think you'll be pleased with any on this list. So, in no particular order...

1. Official Roleplaying Soundtrack by Midnight Syndicate

I have to start by getting a couple of the obvious ones out of the way. The Official Roleplaying Soundtrack by Midnight Syndicate is, while maybe a little generic, a nearly perfect blend of instrumental adventure songs that is especially fitting for a fantasy RPG. You can hit repeat on this thing all night and will receive absolutely no complaints.
2. Shards of Eberron by David P. Davidson
And, when you get a little tired of it and need a break, you need reach no further than the Eberron: Shards of Eberron disc, original music by David P. Davidson. This is similar, but different (and perhaps a bit more distinct) compared to the ORS. It came in the back of the first Eberron source book. Once again, it's probably best suited for a fantasy campaign, but I've used it with other genres and felt like it adds a great feel.


3. Conan The Barbarian ST by Basil Poledouris
First of all, this soundtrack is awesome in its own right and fits the movie it was made for perfectly. It’s the fantasy ST that first gave me the thought that I needed more music with my nerd game seshes, playing rounds of second ed D&D.



4. Drink The Sea by Glitch Mob
My friend Andy introduced this one to me while we were playing a lot of sci fi BRP (Chaosium). It works well for anything sci fi, especially. It’s electronic and easily slips into the background. Listening to Drink The Sea, it’s easy to imagine star docks on far off asteroids. What a cool sound. I’ve never listened to anything else by Glitch Mob, but perhaps I should.

5. Equinox by Joel Grind
Joel Grind, most well known for fronting the punk/metal crossover band Toxic Holocaust, has thoroughly impressed me with this 2016 release. Reading about it, Equinox was inspired by 70’s and 80’s horror STs, and that is evident with a first listen. It’s eerie and dramatic and due to enhance any sci fi, thriller, or horror RPG.



6. The Music of Red Alert: Command and Conquer
I was a big fan of Red Alert when it came out and somehow acquired this CD back around when the game came out (late 90s?!). It sounds industrial and reminds me of the marching armies, fitting to the game it was designed for. It’s definitely a less versatile RPG soundtrack choice, but can have its perfect moments nonetheless.


7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
The challenge I had with this one, initially, was that I’ve seen the movie so many times that the songs were difficult to separate from the film and think of as a soundtrack to the games sesh. This music is so distinct and iconic at times. Still, it is a great spacey soundtrack and I now use it regularly in my rotation for sci fi/post apoc/anything weird....


8. X-Files Original Motion Picture Score by Mark Snow
Here’s my first pick for something modern (D20 Modern, maybe), but it works for a lot of games styles. Sci Fi is an obvious match, as well as anything horror, thriller, detective, superhero, or post apoc. I’ve used it a lot while playing BRP (Chaosium) and Aberrant (White Wolf).



9. Tomorrow’s Harvest by Boards of Canada
This might be my favorite RPG soundtrack choice. It’s very versatile and subtle in its distinctness. The quiet songs on this album have a way of fitting behind any game I’m playing, adding dramatic effect and punctuating the right moments. Electronic and spacey at times, ambient and serene at others, Boards of Canada have made my RPG sessions much enhanced.


10. Tron Legacy Original Motion Picture ST by: Daft Punk
I couldn’t stop listening to Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories when it was released, and picked this up soon after. With a first listen, I knew it had to accompany some RPG playing. This is the the choice my players most often request or recognize. It is a most obvious choice for sci fi, but it works for all kinds of game genres. BTW, I’ve still never seen the movie...
So, that’s it. The albums I reach for to create a soundtrack to accompany a nerd game/board game session when a little extra mood needs to be created or a dramatic moment needs to be enhanced. Might as well pick up them all and make one big playlist... set it to random... and start rolling some dice. If you have other albums/artists that you like to listen to for your own games, please feel free to post in comments. I’m always looking for the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment